Not a member? Register | Lost your password?
Close Panel

Select the destination
Accommodation Gastronomy Services Free time, Entertainment Useful information Multimedia/Webcam City map Quick search
The Zion Neological Synagogue
Religious buildings
Oradea,
Str. Independentei nr. 8
  
  
  

Prezentare generala

The Zion Neological Synagogue

The history of Oradea is closely attached to the presence of the Jewish community of these environs. Throw their activities a lot of Jewish people were recognized: architects, doctors, advocates, engineers, pharmacists, journalists. We can mention some of these: dr. Schieff who took the first X-ray machine to Oradea, dr. Grosz who opened the first medical cabinet for tuberculosis prevention, Berkovits who managed the water factory, Sonnenfeld who put down the bases of typography and the internationally acknowledged architects: Komor, Jakab and the Vago brothers. In 1878 the Jewish community built up on the riverside of Crisu a monumental synagogue with 1000 seats dominated by a huge cupola. The plan was realized by Busch David in neo-maorical style and it was executed by Kalman Rimanoczy (the father). The fresco of the synagogue is of a Kosicean painter: Mor Horovitz.