Not a member? Register | Lost your password?
Close Panel

Select the destination
Accommodation Gastronomy Services Free time, Entertainment Useful information Multimedia/Webcam City map Quick search
The Peles Castle
Nearby atractions
Sinaia,
Aleea Pelesului nr. 2
  0244 310 918
  museum@peles.ro
  www.peles.ro

Prezentare generala

Pele Castle

 

The foundation rock for this important building – not even for Sinaia, but for Romania – has been set up on 22nd of August 1875. The construction place, the land surface from Pele Creek Valley, had been bought by Ruler Carol I (1866-1881) and later on, King of Romania from 1881 till 1914.


Pele Castle has over170 rooms. Worthy of mention is the fact that Pele Castle has been the first castle entirely lit by electrical current from Europe. This was possible because electricity was produced by its own electrical plant, located on the bank of Pele creek and was using the water force to produce it.

It is also important to know that Pele Castle shelters one of the most important and most valuable painting collections in Europe, almost 2.000 pieces.

After King Michael’s abdication in 1947, the whole Pele complex – less the homonymous castle which was opened for tourism – became, for a short time, a creation and rest place for Romanian culture personalities.

After the December 1989 Revolution, Pele and Pelior Castles are re-integrated into tourism circuit.

The castle’s courtyard – Bramantes type – with a fountain in the middle, in the most accurate Renaissance style, pleasantly surprises the visitor. The courtyard has a merry decoration, made out of plants and flowers; all round, the building’s facades are animated by elegant drawings. The interior of the castle is a true wonder, due to the beauty and richness of the sculpted wood and the stained glass windows.

 

Program:

 

Daily: from 9:00 – 17:00

Mondays and Tuesdays: from 9:00 – 11:00

These visiting hours are subject to constant changes due to the tourism seasons.

Not the whole castle is opened for the visitors, an important area from the upper levels being closed.