Not a member? Register | Lost your password?
Close Panel
Tourist attractions
Moldova Romania



















Online assistance

Cemetery Tiganca (Stoianovca)

Country: Moldova      Region: Chisinau Region

2 km from Cantemir, near the village Stoianovca, is a military cemetery, where they were buried the earthly remains of soldiers and Romanian officers who fell in the battles of June-July 1941. In 1996, at the initiative of local people, the Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Moldova and the Romanian Embassy has installed here a gravestone, a cross and it was planted a park. 
On 1 June 2006, at the Heroes' Day was held the solemn opening ceremony of Honor Cemetery of Romanian soldiers in Tiganca, Cantemir. Representatives of the Romanian Presidency, the Romanian Government, the Ministries of Defense from Chişinău and  Bucharest, Department for Relations with Romanians from Everywhere and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Romanian Embassy in Chisinau and the Ministry of Culture of Moldova participated at this ceremony. The special ceremony noted the presence of M.S. King Michael. 

In the village cemetery, located three kilometers east of the Prut, 1020 Romanian heroes are buried, who died in June-July 1941, during the fight in the Second World War. The Memorial dedicated to Romanian soldiers, that include  the military cemetery and a monastery, belonging to the Metropolitan Church of Bessarabia, has received financial support from the Department for Relations with Romanians from Everywhere and the National Office for Heroes Memory. 

Before the end of fighting in the Bridge Head Tiganca, here were buried over 300 soldiers, and in the next two years the number of those who died on the battlefield has doubled, so in the month of July 1943 the number of soldiers buried in this cemetery was 1020. 
The Heroes buried in the cemetery from Ţiganca came from: regiments 1 / 2 and 2 / 9 Hunters Guards, 6 Infantry Guard, 3 Guard Artillery, 1, 11, 12, 17, 21 and 24 Infantry, Artillery 5 and 30, 3 Artillery Heavy, 8 Calarasi, 5 Pioneers, 40 Antitank Company and a Flotilla of Hunting. Most Romanian soldiers buried - from the total of 830 identified with the assistance of History Department of the Army and the Center for Studies and Preservation of Historical Military Archives - belonged to 24 Infantry regiments (237 troops), 12 Infantry Battalion (184 troops), 11 Infantry (179 ), 1 / 2 hunters Guards (95 troops), 6 Infantry (72 troops), 21 Infantry (18 troops) and 2 / 9 hunters Guards (17 troops). Many of those killed in the fights from Ţiganca were taken to the country and deposited in his family tombs or in the honor cemeteries. 

The battle’s dynamic and the growth of the number of losses in the BridgeHead, made so that the romanian soldiers fallen in battle to be seated in nine mass graves - in two to four overlapping rows. 

As the front advanced eastward, the National Settlements "Queen Mary" for Heroes Memory from Romania took over the care and maintenance the cemeteries of campaign, where is included one from Ţiganca. 
The first description of it is dated in mid-January of 1942 and belongs to the sergeant major Mihai Vasile, Establishment Officer. 

The field where was arranged the cemetery of campaign form Ţiganca belonged to the local people Mihalcea Tiron and Ştefan Comârzan, both from Ţiganca. They donated an area of 3,150 sq m.
The reconstruction project of the Cemetry of Honor from Ţiganca was released on June 9, 2005,on Remembrance Day, when it took place a formal ceremony to commemorate those who died in the first month of campaign of the Romanian Army on the Eastern Front. 

The ceremony was provided by an honor guard of the Army of the Republic of Moldova, proof of concern of those two countries for honoring - in the spirit of the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949 - soldiers who fell in the battle during the last world conflagration. 
Following an international tender, which ended on 26 October 2005, the construction was awarded by the company FPC "REVETAN" SRL, from Chisinau, led by engineer Ion Hanganu, who has executed similar works at the Memorial Complex Serpeni and  at the German cemetery from the capital of Moldova. The Reconstruction of the cemetery follows closely the original location and size that it had at its creation, 65 years ago. 

 At the north side, the cemetery is protected by a wrought iron fence, height of 2.2 m, made in the specific style of monastic settlements and burial places of the heroes. 
The foundation made of  concrete (with a depth of  1.5 m and a width of 40 cm) gives strength to this place of rest of the heroes and the plating with Cosauti stones gives to the cemetery monumentality.

 

The other three sides are enclosed by a fences (height 60 cm), which allows viewing of the rest palce of  the heroes.

 

The nine mass graves (length of 13,0 ÷ 14,5m and width of 2,0 m) are bounded by a border of reinforced concrete, clad in stone and just respecting their original location. In the common grave from main entrance were buried - on May 6, 2006, in an emotional Christian ceremony - earthly remains removed by the floods that have scattered across the valley or discovered during excavations for the reconstruction of the cemetery. On the eastern side of the mass graves are located 143 Christian crosses.The cemetery entrance is through a traditional Romanian gate (5 m wide and 3,6 m height) which was carved by the craftsman Ilie Benţa din Bârsana, Maramureş. He also made the Monumental Troita (4,0 m height), which guards the cemetery from the highest peak, it is located to the east, like the altars of Orthodox churches. 

At the entrance were placed the 11 plaques made (by the SC "MARBLE ART" SRL from Slatina, Olt county) of black granite of Baia Mare; each of them is shaped like a rectangular box tilted towards the west.On the  N and S sides of the cemetery were built access paths, each having 27 steps. 

Two poles, height of 8 m each, guard Christian Troita and there will be permanently displayed the flags of Romania and Moldova. 
Generaly lighting of the cemetery is completed by reflectors oriented to the commemorative plates and the troita, but the crosses and the graves are highlighted by low lighting. In front of each cross was planted a rose, the sides of the cemetery was surrounded by bushes.. 
Cemetery has a water supply system, which will allow the vegetation within it to be tended and maintained throughout the year. 
For the rest and the recollection of guests there were installed benches. 

Source: turism.gov.md